________________Thomas L. Jacobs____________
Ph (360) 668-9190, Cell (206)-660-2781
Embedded Software Systems ...
28 years of real time embedded software system design and implementation experience. This includes hardware, firmware, application software, and testing using Intel 8080 through 80x86, Pentium, 80x51, Intel XSCALE, StrongARM, Phillips XAG3/C3, and Motorola 680x0 platforms. This experience includes:
· Embedded Windows CE system for next generation Sonosite Ultrasound System.
· Embedded Windows CE system used to control and monitor the DuraHeart Pump Controller.
· Embedded Windows CE Micro Kiosk used for Airline Check-In, Price Verification, etc.
· Embedded Windows CE system used to monitor the health of “Home Bound” patients.
· Embedded Windows NT Data Acquisition System, used to control and monitor the DeBakey Heart Pump.
· Embedded Mag-Lev Heart Pump Controller, using TI 320LF2407 DSP and XAC3 processor.
· Embedded DSP based Aircraft Proximity Sensing system, using Motorola’s DSP56005
· Various embedded DSP based systems used for real-time data control, Analog Devices 2101
· Various embedded DSP based system used for Image and Signal Processing in Ultrasound systems, Analog Devices 2111
· Motorola 68302 communications driver used in medical devices.
· Various 80186 embedded controllers used in medical devices.
· Various 80152 embedded controllers used in Ultrasound Systems.
Digital Signal Processing ...
Fourteen years experience designing and programming DSP based software systems for control, filter, and data acquisition applications using Texas Instruments TMS32020, TMS320C80,TMS320LF2406 DSPs, Motorola's DSP56k, Analog Devices ADSP 210X. This experience include:
· Developed a Texas Instruments 320LF2407 based PID control algorithm used to control a heart pump impeller within a magnetic field. Also, developed a PI control algorithm used to control the rotational speed of a heart pump motor.
· Developing an Analog Devices 2101based embedded control application used to route ultrasound packets to various subsystems for image processing.
· Developing an Analog Devices 2111 based embedded control application to sample medical ECG waveforms. This application detected the ECG “R” wave, and calculates the Heart Rate based on this information. It also filtered the waveforms using a 6th order bi-quad implementation so the signal could be displayed on ATL’s HDI ultrasound system.
· Developing a Motorola DSP56k based proximity sensing system used on the MD95 / Boeing 717aircraft. This system uses a correlation technique to detect the status of up to 18 sensors simultaneously in real time.
Windows Drivers and Applications...
Experience writing Windows NT Device Drivers, Dynamic Link Libraries, and 32 bit Applications using Microsoft Visual Studio, and the Developers Network Tools. This experience includes:
· Windows Sockets Send and Receive application used for benchmark testing Ethernet transfer speed.
· A custom high speed serial interface driver for an artificial heart pump controller. This driver was implemented using a state machine to accommodate the controller’s proprietary commands.
· A file system driver and application using OSR’s FDDK to automatically back up text files and documents. This midlevel driver filters the IRP’s for data passing through the file system. This data is then passed to the application for back up.
· A Custom DLL that processes medical stethoscope sound packets in an electronic stethoscope application. This DLL performs real-time AD/PCM decompression, Signal interpolation and filtering of medical stethoscope sound packets and interfaces to the WaveOut API.
· A Multithreaded embedded Windows application used to monitor and control the Debakey Ventricle Assist Device. This application provides real-time logging and display of various physiological parameters and is used during the implant procedure.
· Various Active X controls used for custom controls and displays in the DeBakey VAD project
· Voice Recognition “Proof of Concept” application using IBM’s ICSS tools to control ATL’s HDI Ultrasound System.
· Sound Driver used to interface a custom sound device to the Windows Operating System.
Windows CE Drivers and Applications...
Experience writing Windows CE Device Drivers and Applications using Microsoft Embedded Tool Kit for CE versions 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 4.0, 4.1 and 5.0. This experience includes:
· Configured a Windows CE 5.0 platform to run on the PXA270 XSCALE platform
· Optimized the SDMemory interface to use DMA chaining, increasing the transfer rate by 400 percent
· Integrating and Optimizing LAN91C111 Ethernet Driver to use DMA
· Modifying EBOOT to perform custom “Fast” NB0 loads.
· Configured a Windows CE 5.0 platform to run on the Versalogic VSBC-8 platform
· Integrating USB Mass Storage Device, and modifying file system used by application.
· Creating and installing the “Boot Loader” for various Windows CE Platforms.
· Wrote “Inactivity Application” used to detect when user input has stopped, and executes background video, audio, or other application programs.
· Wrote Watch Dog API so CE Applications can reset the timer on the Intel StrongARM processor.
· Wrote Scanner Automation Server used to display Bar Codes using Explorer.
· Porting the MediaGX display driver from DOS to Windows CE 3.0.
· Porting the Independent JPEG Groups JPEG library to WinCE. The library was customized to include various new APP Markers used to “Water Mark” images so that they were verifiable.
· Writing a custom file system which allows the M-Systems “Disk on Chip” to interface to the Windows CE mincom version.
· Writing a custom Sound Blaster driver for Windows CE used to sample medical stethoscope heart sounds. This driver samples, filters, decimates, and encodes the data using the AD/PCM compression method in real time.
· Various drivers used to interface devices which measure Blood Pressure, Pulse Rate, SpO2, and Temperature to a Windows CE application.
· An embedded application which monitors various medical devices in real-time. These measurements are then sent through the digital channel of an H.324 based videophone system.
Skilled in system level requirements analysis and design using the Unified Modeling Language (UML), Shear-Mellor and Rumba Object Oriented methodologies. This included developing Use Case, Object Models, State, and Sequence diagrams using the Rational Rose CASE tool. These techniques were used to develop quality embedded systems for Advanced Technology Labs, Eldec Corp, Micromed Inc, Kodak Inc and Terumo Heart projects.
Also experienced in writing Software Development Plans, Software Requirements Documents, and Software Design Documents which meet FDA and Aerospace criteria.
Experience in both Functional and Project Management. Functional Management experience includes managing groups of up to eight engineers for the Terumo Heart Software Development Project, and Advanced Technology Labs (ATL). This includes dealing with all aspects of functional management including motivation, personal growth, scheduling, hiring, and termination of individuals in my department.
Project Management experience at ATL and Siemens Ultrasound, managing projects through development into production. Also have experience dealing with all aspects of development including schedule, risk assessment, contingency planning, departmental communication, clinical evaluation, and documentation issues.
Medical Software Validation and Verification...
Experience writing various Validation Procedures using test cases based on Software Requirements for Class III medical devices. These procedures were executed resulting in a report that was submitted to the customer.
DOS Drivers and Applications...
Experience writing various DOS application programs for machine control, educational, and sound applications. This entails all levels of PC programming including TSR's, BIOS, graphics, and custom interrupt handlers.
Internet Web development...
Experience writing HTML files for various home pages and Internet applications. This includes Java Scripts, and CGI scripts for custom form applications.
Experience writing classes and member functions for embedded Ultrasound applications using the Vx Works operating system on a Sun IPX platform.
Medical Electronics Experience...
Experienced in designing and managing projects in the FDA regulated environment for life critical software systems. These include LVAD Heart Pump Controllers, Ultrasound, Image Analysis, and EKG stress test systems. This includes formal processes, tracebility, and formal test specifications and reports. Also experienced in FDA GMP, and ISO 9000 documentation processes and procedures.
Aerospace Electronics Experience...
Experienced in designing aircraft proximity sensing systems in the FAA regulated environment. This includes producing the requirement and design specifications, tracebility, formal peer reviews and customer reviews required by DO-178B
Programming Languages and Operating Systems...
Languages C, C++, Java, Pascal, PLM86, and FORTRAN
Assembly -- Intel 8080 through Pentium, StrongARM, XSCALE, 8051 Phillips XAG3/C3, Motorola 680x0, TI's 32020 DSP, Analog devices ADSP 21xx DSP, Motorola’s DSP56k, TI’s 320LF2406 DSP, TI's TMS 320C8X DSP
Operating Systems: Windows 3.1 through XP, Windows CE 2.1 through 5.0, UNIX, DOS, iRMX, Vx Works, and VAX VMS
Various debuggers including Lautrerbach, Nohau, BDM’s, etc. Oscilloscopes, Logic Analyzers, Function Generators, etc.
Developed various drivers to support the following protocols:
UART Based serial, Controller Area Networks (CAN), Universal Serial Bus (USB), Secure Digital (SD) Bus, I2C protocol, SM Bus, Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI), Single Wire and Ethernet.
Bachelor of Science Electrical
Associate of Applied Science in Electronic Engineering Technology, NSCC 1976
Real Time Structured Analysis and Design. January, 1990
Object Oriented Analysis and Design. July, 1991
DSP Courses for Analog Devices 21XX, 1993, and TI's TMS320C8X, 1996
Rational Rose UML course at
Configured a Windows CE 5.0 platform to run on the PXA270 XSCALE platform for Sonosite’s next generation Ultrasound system. Integrated the SMSC LAN91C111 Ethernet Driver to replace the VMINI port driver and optimized to include DMA transfers. Optimized the SDMemory interface to use DMA chaining, increasing the transfer rate by 400 percent. Wrote a benchmark application for testing memory, disk storage, video, math, and operating system speed. Wrote scripts for using the Lauterbach emulator with Windows CE debugging, and flash programming. Also, wrote various procedures for installing, configuring, and debugging the environment using both KITL and the Lauterbach debuggers.
2002 - 2005
Implemented software functionality
for the Terumo Heart LVAD Heart Pump system. This included building a Windows
CE 5.0 platform to run on the Versalogic VSBC-8 platform,
porting the Windows CE 3.0 drivers, and application to Windows CE 5.0. Developing
a USB Mass Storage Device interface to store files, to a
Developed various Windows CE Drivers and Applications for Symbol’s Micro Kiosk. This device uses the Intel StrongARM platform running Windows CE version 4.1.
Software Architect and Developer for embedded VAD Heart Pump Controller. This project used UML Use Cases analysis to identify software requirements. Developed PID algorithm to control heart pump speed and levitation running on a Texas Instruments TMS320LF2406 Digital Signal Processor and a Phillips XAC3 microprocessor.
System Software Engineer on Abbott Labs multiprocessor IV Pump project. Developed high speed, high reliability communications driver for the Motorola 68302 microprocessor. This project used the Green Hills C++ compiler and linker.
Software Lead and Architect for the Kodak LifeView system at SeaMED Corporation. This Windows CE based application is used by the medical professionals to monitor “Home Bound” patients. It uses the Smith Micro videophone engine and custom medical devices to monitor the patient’s health. This project used the Shlaer-Mellor Object Oriented Methodology and the Microsoft ETK Development Environment
Jacobs Electronics Inc,
1997 - 1998
Software Lead and Architect for the Micromed Ventricle Assist Device, Clinical Data Acquisition System at SeaMED Corporation. This Windows NT based embedded system is used to control and monitor the Debakey Heart Pump. This project used the Shlaer-Mellor Object Oriented Methodology and the Microsoft Visual C++ Development Environment.
1996 - 1997
Led DSP Software development effort to produce the aircraft proximity sensing firmware for the McDonnell Douglas MD-95. This project used the Shlaer-Mellor Object Oriented Methodology to produce a firmware package that measures up to 18 proximity sensors simultaneously. This project was based on the Motorola DSP56005 and was completed on schedule adhering to DO-178B standards.
Jacobs Electronics Inc,
1995 - 1996
Wrote NT device drivers and applications using DDK and Visual C++ for Orbit International Inc. This project used OSR's FDDK (File Systems Filter Driver Kit) to develop an "on the fly" back up utility for any NT application.
Developed various Internet WEB html files for Real Estate and Document Control WEB sites. This development included, Java Apps, search utilities, and database interfaces.
Siemens Medical Systems,
Ultrasound Group, Issaquah
Project management of the Elegra Ultrasound Systems 4.0 feature set. This entailed driving a set of Software features though development, clinical evaluation into the production environment. This involved scheduling activities, and resolving conflicts between departments. It also involved verifying that the process steps were followed for FDA compliance.
1995 Feature development at the firmware/DSP level for the Elegra Ultrasound System.
Design and implementation of an EKG subsystem on ATL's HDI 3000 Ultrasound System. This included data acquisition, filter design and heart rate detect algorithms. This design was implemented on an Analog Devices ADSP-2111 Digital Signal Processor.
Implemented Harmonic Imaging feature on the HDI 3000 Ultrasound System. This feature is used by research physicians to view the body with greater clarity using contrast agents.
Designed high speed control/communications interface on UNIX based ultrasound system to control external signal processing peripherals. This design used the Vx Works operating system running on a Motorola 68040 processor. The development was done in "C" on a Sun IPX platform. Also drove efforts to optimize UNIX applications to improve system response time.
Prototyped Voice Recognition system using IBM's ICSS to be used in parallel with the Ultrasound Systems current user interface.
Project Manager and Principal Software Architect for embedded DSP based Ultrasound Signal Processor This design used multiple Analog Devices ADSP-2101 processors for real time signal processing with response times less than 20 us. Special attention was given to FDA GMP processes and procedures. Project Manager and Principal Software Engineer for embedded DSP based Ultrasound Signal Processing subsystem.
Designed and implemented an embedded DSP based Ultrasound Data Controller. This device routes the various types of Ultrasound data and images to other devices and memories based on its identifiers. This controller is an object oriented design and uses a software state machine with a response time of less than 50 us. Special attention was given to FDA GMP processes and procedures.
Jacobs Electronics Inc,
Principal Engineering Consultant for JEI providing both hardware and software designees for their PC based external sound peripheral. This included design of both analog and digital circuitry for the device as well as software support. The software support includes DOS driver design, Windows device driver design, Windows Vxd for Sound Blaster compatibility, and various DOS sound applications and TSR's.
Labs, Inc. -
Worked as system level architect while continuing to manage Processing Group. Defined control architecture for the Signal Processing Subsystem, an integral part of ATL's HDI 3000 Ultrasound System. This included the real time data routing and communication architecture.
Managed Processing Group of four engineers on the HDI project. This included the design and implementation of four separate firmware modules.
1989 Designed a Color Doppler firmware module used to improve the Color Image filtering for ATL's HDI Ultrasound system.
Converted to a direct employee working on UM5 Digital Ultrasound System. I supervised three engineers in software/firmware design and integration.
Worked as a Consultant Engineer on UM4 Colorflow project designing transducer interfaces.
Ariel Electronics, Inc.
This was a startup company designing an automatic circuit board prototyping system using conductive polymer and a transitional stage. I architected, design and integrated all the control software along with the user interface controls and CAD format conversion modules. I hold a patent for my work on the control software from this project.
Labs, Inc. -
Worked as Consultant Engineer on UM4 project. I redesigned its Serial Communication’s interface using a software state machine, integrated various transducers including the annular array, and worked on beamformer integration.
Consultant Engineer at Quinton Instruments working on their high end Stress Test System. This system measured the patient’s EKG waveforms while controlling a Treadmill system. There I designed a 68010 based System Control Module, 80186 based Strip Chart recorder, and EKG data acquisition system using TI's TMS 32020 DSP.
Labs, Inc. -
Worked as Design/Integration Engineer on MK700/UM8 Ultrasound Project. Working as System Integrator, my job was to integrate the various application modules into a working system.
Bruce Franklin, Inc.
Worked as Project Engineer designing a Video Frame Grabber, Control Circuitry, and Memory modules for the Quantic 1200 system. This was a review station used for Ultrasound Analysis.
Tone Commander Systems,
1982 Graduated from
1976-1982 Worked as a Design Engineer working on microprocessor controlled PABX system.
1978-1980 Test Engineer, designing an Automated PBX Test System using an IMSAI 8080 Microcomputer.
1976-1977 Electronics Technician working on Telephony PBX and KEY Systems.
1974-1976 Attended North
1972-1974 Navy Enlistment,
I hold a patent for control system design innovations at Ariel Electronics, Inc Patent #5,156,772.
I enjoy working with other engineers in a team environment on an interesting project. I am an energetic, self motivated, a good communicator and have exceptional analysis and debugging skills. My home projects include developing educational and sound related products for the shareware market.
Furnished on request.