27 years of real time embedded system design and implementation experience. This includes hardware, firmware, application software, and testing using Intel 8080 through 80x86, Pentium, 80x51, StrongARM, Phillips XAG3/C3 and Motorola 680x0 platforms. This experience includes:Embedded Windows CE system used to control and monitor the DuraHeart Pump Controller.
- Embedded Windows CE Micro Kiosk used for Airline Check-In, Price Verification, etc.
- Embedded Windows CE system used to monitor the health of "Home Bound" patients.
- Embedded Windows NT system used to control and monitor the DeBakey Heart Pump.
- Embedded DSP based Aircraft Proximity Sensing system.
- Various embedded DSP based systems used for real-time data control
- Various embedded DSP based system used for Image and Signal Processing in Ultrasound systems.
- Motorola 68302 Communications Driver used on Medical Device.
- Various 80186 embedded controllers used in medical devices.
- Various 80152 embedded controllers used in Ultrasound Systems.
Fourteen years experience designing and programming DSP based systems for control, filter, and data acquisition applications using Texas Instruments TMS32020, TMS320C80, TMS320LF2406 DSPs, Motorola's DSP56k, Analog Devices ADSP 210X. This experience includes:
- Developed a Texas Instruments 320LF2407 based PID control algorithm used to control a heart pump impeller within a magnetic field. Also, developed a PI control algorithm used to control the rotational speed of a heart pump motor.
- Developing an Analog Devices 2101based embedded control application used to route ultrasound packets to various subsystems for image processing.
- Developing an Analog Devices 2111 based embedded control application to sample medical ECG waveforms. This application detected the heart rate information, and filtered the waveforms so that they could be displayed on ATL’s HDI ultrasound system.
- Developing a Motorola DSP56k based proximity sensing system used on the MD95 / Boeing 717aircraft. This system uses a correlation technique to detect the status of up to 18 sensors simultaneously in real time.
Experience writing Windows NT Device Drivers, Dynamic Link Libraries, and 32 bit Applications using Microsoft Visual Studio, and the Developers Network Tools. This experience includes:
- A custom high speed serial interface driver for an artificial heart pump controller. This driver was implemented using a software state machine to accommodate the controllers proprietary command set.
- A file system driver and application using OSR’s FDDK to automatically back up text files and documents. This midlevel driver filters the IRP’s for data passing through the file system. This data is then passed to the application for back up.
- A Custom DLL that processes medical stethoscope sound packets in an electronic stethoscope application. This DLL performs real-time AD/PCM decompression, Signal interpolation and filtering of medical stethoscope sound packets and interfaces to the WaveOut API.
- A Multithreaded embedded Windows application used to monitor and control the Debakey Ventricle Assist Device. This application provides real-time logging and display of various physiological parameters and is used during the implant procedure.
- Various Active X controls used for custom controls and displays in the DeBakey VAD project
- Voice Recognition "Proof of Concept" application using IBM’s ICSS tools to control ATL’s HDI Ultrasound System.
- Sound Driver used to interface a custom sound device to the Windows Operating System.
- Various Educational and Sound Windows applications available as "shareware".
Experience writing Windows CE Device Drivers and Applications using Microsoft Embedded Tool Kit for CE versions 2.0, 2.1, 3, 4.1. This experience includes:
- Setting up the WinCE development and build environment for various versions of Windows CE.
- Creating and installing the "Boot Loader" for various Windows CE Platforms.
- Wrote "Inactivity Application" used to detect when user input has stopped, and executes background video, audio, or other application programs.
- Wrote Watch Dog API so CE Applications can reset the timer on the Intel StrongARM processor.
- Wrote Scanner Automation Server used to display Bar Codes using Explorer.
- Porting the MediaGX display driver from DOS to Windows CE.
- Porting the JPG JPEG library to WinCE. The library was customized to include various new APP Markers used to "Water Mark" images so that they were verifiable..
- Writing a custom file system which allows the M-Systems "Disk on Chip" to interface to the Windows CE mincom version.
- Writing a custom Sound Blaster driver for Windows CE used to sample medical stethoscope heart sounds. This driver samples, filters, decimates, and encodes the data using the AD/PCM compression method in real time.
- Various drivers used to interface devices which measure Blood Pressure, Pulse Rate, SpO2, and Temperature to a Windows CE application.
- An embedded application which monitors various medical devices in real-time. These measurements are then sent through the digital channel of an H.324 based videophone system.
Experience writing various Validation Procedures using test cases based on software requirements for Class III medical devices. These procedures were executed resulting in a report that was submitted to the customer.
Experience writing various DOS application programs for machine control, educational, and sound applications. This entails all levels of PC programming including TSR's, BIOS, graphics, and custom interrupt handlers.
Experience writing HTML files for various home pages and Internet applications. This includes Java Scripts, and CGI scripts for custom form applications.
Experience writing classes and member functions for embedded Ultrasound applications using the Vx Works operating system on a Sun IPX platform.
Skilled in system level requirements analysis and design using object oriented and structured analysis methodologies. These techniques were used to develop quality embedded systems for Advanced Technology Labs, Eldec Corp, Seamed Micromed, and Seamed Kodak projects. Also experienced in writing product proposals and descriptions.
Experience in both Functional and Project Management. Functional Management experience includes managing groups of up to eight engineers. This includes dealing with all aspects of functional management including motivation, personal growth, scheduling, hiring, and termination of individuals in my department.
Project Management experience at ATL and Siemens Ultrasound, managing projects through development into production. Also have experience dealing with all aspects of development including schedule, risk assessment, contingency planning, departmental communication, clinical evaluation, and documentation issues.
Experienced in designing and managing projects in the FDA regulated environment for Ultrasound, Image Analysis, and EKG stress test systems. This includes formal processes, tracebility, and formal test specifications and reports. Also experienced in FDA GMP, and ISO 9000 documentation processes and procedures.
Experienced in designing aircraft proximity sensing systems in the FAA regulated environment . This includes producing the requirement and design specifications, tracebility, formal peer reviews and customer reviews required by DO-178B.
- Intel 8080 through 80x86
- 8051 Motorola 680x0
- TI's 32020 DSP
- Analog devices ADSP 21xx DSP
- Motorola’s DSP56k
- TI's TMS 320C8X DSP
- Windows (3.1,95,98,NT,2000,XP,ME,CE)
- Vx Works
- VAX VMS